Strong governance has always been a key feature in developing Good or Outstanding schools. This focus has been further compounded in recent months as the requirements for Governors have become stronger and more competency based. In January 2017, the Department for Education released a Competency Framework for Governance which clearly sets out the competencies, skills, and knowledge required to be an effective Governing Board.
Governing Boards are now held in greater accountability. This has been strengthened by the increased number of Multi Academy Trusts; ensuring schools are effectively managed and those in charge are accountable for their actions. Governing Boards are vision setters and the strategic decision makers, judged by Ofsted, and critical in successful schools. Governing Boards in MATs have received greater focus and guidance to ensure school improvement is top of the agenda.
An effective Governing Board would:
- Have a commitment to personal development to further add value to their role
- Have the right people around the table
- Understand their collective and individual roles and responsibilities
- Demonstrate good chairing and professional clerking
- Have good relationships based on trust and respect
- Know the school – people, data, staff, parents and carers, the community, children, and context
- Be committed to asking challenging questions
- Be prepared to make difficult decisions
- Have a commitment to school improvement
There are many aspects in which GLK Solutions can provide support in governance, such as:
- Vision setting
- Clerking Services
- Development of the Governing Board and the role of the Link Governor (Learning & Development Governor)
- Governor skills and competencies gap analysis audit
- Governor recruitment
Please contact a member of the GLK Solutions team today to discuss your governance requirements. We offer a no obligation review meeting to see where we may be able to offer support.
Please also see our Clerking & Governance Services page under What We Do for more information about how we can support your requirements.